Translating the Star Wars: Building a Galaxy with Code tutorial
Translations for the tutorial progression are done on Crowdin and translations for the video captions are done on Amara. They are both free to join and any volunteer can immediately start translating on either platform.
Getting set up
Click here to create an Amara account.
Click here to join our Code.org project on Crowdin.
- From the main project page, select your language.
- Note your language code in the URL, you'll need this for later. If it's a 4 letter code like "zh-TW" note that the code you'll use later will be in the format "zhTW".
Translating the tutorial progression
The following links all lead directly to the Spanish tutorial. Replace the "es" in the URL with the language code you got earlier. Your translations will be updated on the site at the end of each week. You can watch this demo video for how to use Crowdin.
- tutorial title
- tutorial description
- blocks, instructions, and callout bubbles
- strings about Star Wars on Code.org
- video titles
video notes - These notes are basically a copy of the video captions. They are shown on the second tab, side by side screenshots of the video. These are intended for slow internet users. Since it is very close to the captions, I suggest completing the translation for the caption on Amara and then reusing those translations here.
Translating the video captions
- To use Amara, first click on a video link below.
- On the left, you'll see a list of languages. If you don't see your language listed, click "Add a new language". A language with a yellow dot means it's been started but incomplete; please go ahead and complete the translation. A language with a green dot means it's been completed and published.
- When you begin you'll see the English track on the left and you can enter your translations on the right. Feel free to edit the timing if necessary. When complete, click the Publish button in the top right.
- Complete all 3 video translations then email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can upload your translations to YouTube. Please include that you completed the Star Wars videos and your language.
- The links for the videos are below:
tutorial is supported in the following languages
- English, United Kingdom
- Spanish, Mexico
- Norwegian Nynorsk
- Portuguese, Brazilian
- Chinese Simplified
- Chinese Traditional